Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings

Subject: Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 14:52:58 -0700
At 7/17/2020 12:26 PM, The AK man wrote:
>> Ramble On - Gotta find the [camera] of all my dreams - Ramble On
>
>The new R5 is a rather exciting new development. Other than the fact
>that we're dealing with Canon color-science, it looks like it might be
>the meow's cat. I'm sure that camera is going to be pretty brilliant.
>Alas, there is a problem. Size/Weight. Might as well go with
>Panasonic! I fail to see a compelling reason (other than PDAF) to
>choose the Canon offering over the Pansonic in regards to full-frame.
>The competition is tight. In that full-frame space, ALL of the camera
>systems are very good. But some are gooder than others for the
>individual photographer.

I'm curious to see what the A7S iii will be.
A couple of rumored specs:

Redesigned 12MP image sensor with ?fast readout? 16bit RAW output
A claimed 15 stops of dynamic range (ie. from 16-bit RAW).

I personally found the 12mP 5D to be pretty adequate for most things.
And I would love the extra low light, low noise it might offer.

Pentax has said they are sticking with SLR and their nice optical viewfinder.
The K-1 has AstroTrace, and handheld HR mode. But likewise it is a
big camera. Intrigueing, but big. I have a soft spot for optical viewfinders.

>I certainly have a bit of love/hate relationship with the Sony. There
>are some ergonomic aspects of the camera which are best-of. But others
>are total head-scratchers. Typical Sony in this regard. Sony has
>ALWAYS been this way. ... This is the SAME Sony that
>overlooks the blinding obvious that proves that their product managers
>don't actually use their products.

Typical Sony. You would think the camera division could consult with
the ear bud department to get bluetooth done right. I don't have too
many issue with the Sonies, but it took a while to figure certain things
out. Such as after hitting ISO button, the back wheel will increment in
full stops, like the GX9 does naturally. I have not yet tried saving settings
onto SD card. But I also drive a stick shift. Flash usage is another
learning curve.

I thought lack of focus bracket to be a negative, but experimenting with
the GX9, I'm not so sure I really miss it. I have a hard time, close up,
holding the camera steady enough to get good focus bracketing.
Hence, I usually need to use the tripod. For which I can manually do the
bracketing with the sonie fairly well. The GX9 requires experimenting
to understand what the incrementing value does. I did find it
has a [0/+] mode so the shot sequence works better in Helicon Focus.
The Sony I can just crank the focus and watch the focus peaking. No
need to guess what a GX9 increment should be, based on aperture and
DOF.

Why can't Sony figure out how to display a histogram and the level
at the same time? Even Mark Galer has complained. Customizig the display
would be welcome.

dream on - WayneS