Re: [OM] Back to the 600/6.5 (and a surprise plater!) [was Managed to sn

Subject: Re: [OM] Back to the 600/6.5 (and a surprise plater!) [was Managed to snag a 1000 f11 zuiko]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 13:53:46 -0700
On 7/9/2020 6:30 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 7/8/2020 11:10 PM, Far Moose wrote:
Yes, to this:
As a practical matter, the 100-400 on µ4/3 is far smaller, lighter, more
flexible, etc. for the same resolution
I thought the aperture slap was the cause for the 600 shake on the OM body. It
was a sensitive lens.

That's my impression, as well, but from reading, not practice. Gary has trouble with the 1000/11, as well, and that was with mirror and aperture pre-fire.

I have been enjoying the new (to me) GX9. Here is one of my very first photos
with a PL 100-400 @ 400mm. I wasn't intending to get this lens, but one became
available locally, so I bought it with cash from a mtn bike sale. The dual IS
makes handheld possible.

Not just possible, desirable! I have many, many hand held shots with this combo.

Not sure how well IBIS works with the OM 600mm? Could it do 1/40 handheld?

Not a clue. I've only shot it on tripod and without IBIS. I can't imagine wielding that lens hand held to much advantage. Jan says he's done it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xdiMLWGee5sD61sT7
GX9,  PL 100-400 @ 400mm, F6.3, 1/40, handheld.

Nice!

Here is a 100% crop of the Quale in that dead cactus:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KNuPwPZecp2rvdwC9

GX9 files respond well to Topaz AI Denoise and many lower shutter speed 100-400 shots st the long end to Topaz Sharpen AI, Stabilize mode. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/WayneS/CactiQuail.htm>

Compared to the A7iii, the GX9 shutter feels/sounds like butter.

For me, going backward to an OM lenses (other than for the fun of it, or
possible magic)

Those reasons, and the possible opportunity to rescue an unusable copy are why I bought it. Entertaining, educational and successful.

And without it, I wouldn't have realized how similar in actual image pixel size
it and the 100-400 are.

is not worth it compared to the convenience of modern zoom lenses.

Absolutely!

Fun and Games Moose