Re: [OM] Images on SD card held hostage

Subject: Re: [OM] Images on SD card held hostage
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 09:24:55 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>>> The Sony uses a database on the card so you can't just delete images from
>>> the card.
>> WTF? That alone is enough reason for me to avoid getting a Sony!
>
> It's a "value add" item.

Yea, “value added” for the manufacturer, like copy protection.

At some point in a company’s lifetime, they start to spend more and more effort
in protecting their market position than they do in providing consumer value.

Sony seems to have this in spades. Remember “memory sticks?” Give away the
razor; make a killing on blades once you have them locked in.

That’s one of the reasons I stayed with Olympus. Micro Four Thirds is an open
standard, not a proprietary one.

Jan