Re: [OM] Images on SD card held hostage

Subject: Re: [OM] Images on SD card held hostage
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 19:20:47 -0700
At 6/22/2020 05:15 PM, you wrote:
>On 6/22/2020 4:31 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
>>FAM writes:
>>"I suspect a failure in writing, or in the card itself, either memory or
>>memory management."
>>
>>All the images can be viewed in order on the cam  but that does not exclude
>>the above.  So should I attempt to get a new card under warranty?  I think
>>they may just send a refurb or some such and possibly not new.
>>Should I consider the card evil, potentially devouring valuable images, never
>>to be trusted, worthy of  banishment to the dust heap of history?  Is a dry
>>run of a string of images after reformatting an adequate test?
>
>Sure, if Lexar will send a replacement, get it. Otherwise:
>
>1. Determine that is is, in fact, Lexar. I know, B&H, right packaging.
>
>2. Find a real, read/write tester.
>
>3. Format with the SD Assoc formatter.
><https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/> Sure. we know the camera
>formatter is best. Except if it isn't, in some obscure way.
>
>4. Then, camera format.
>
>Does the camera allow mirroring pix on both cards? You might do that for a
>while, until sure the problem was a one time thing.
>
>Suggestible Moose

I personally would not try to do anything with the card in the camera until I
ran RescuPro to try to recover the files. Everytime you put the card in the
camera, you have no guarantee the camera does not write to the card. For
instance, If you put a blank card in the camera, the camera will create
directories, etc.

When I was arguing with SanDisk that my $199 extreme pro card, rated at 300MB/s
was flaky, they had me test using crystal mark. I also have the fast ProGrade
reader. When ready, you can run crystalmark test on the card to determine if it
is performing at speed.
https://crystalmark.info/en/

My SanDisk complaint:
I had two of their cards, $199 each. One consistently read files off the card
at 270MB/s. The second one would sometimes drop to zero and took forever.
SanDisk did replaced that card. The replacement card would never reach the same
270MB/s read speed, instead fluctuating around 170MB/s. I complained and they
said "... we advertise the speed as 'up to' that rating." SanDisk quality has
gone down. I bought two 300MB/s ProGrade cards and they perform consistently
good. I will never buy another SanDisk card. For $199 X 2, I expect the
advertised performance and not the hassle.

disgruntled WayneS