Re: [OM] Images on SD card held hostage

Subject: Re: [OM] Images on SD card held hostage
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 21:30:04 -0700
On 6/22/2020 7:20 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 6/22/2020 05:15 PM, you wrote:
FAM writes:
"I suspect a failure in writing, or in the card itself, either memory or memory
management."

All the images can be viewed in order on the cam  but that does not exclude the
above.  So should I attempt to get a new card under warranty?  I think they may
just send a refurb or some such and possibly not new.
Should I consider the card evil, potentially devouring valuable images, never
to be trusted, worthy of  banishment to the dust heap of history?  Is a dry run
of a string of images after reformatting an adequate test?
Sure, if Lexar will send a replacement, get it. Otherwise:

1. Determine that is is, in fact, Lexar. I know, B&H, right packaging.

2. Find a real, read/write tester.

3. Format with the SD Assoc formatter.
<https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/> Sure. we know the camera
formatter is best. Except if it isn't, in some obscure way.

4. Then, camera format.

Does the camera allow mirroring pix on both cards? You might do that for a
while, until sure the problem was a one time thing.

Suggestible Moose
I personally would not try to do anything with the card in the camera until I
ran RescuPro to try to recover the files. Everytime you put the card in the
camera, you have no guarantee the camera does not write to the card. For
instance, If you put a blank card in the camera, the camera will create
directories, etc.

OH Yes, absolutely. I thought it was clear from which part of Mike's post I replied to that I was talking about AFTER recovery or determination that recovery isn't to be.

Clarified Moose