Re: [OM] The Garden Proceeds

Subject: Re: [OM] The Garden Proceeds
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 14:59:39 -0800
> I battle bright sun all the time here in AZ. Some cactus flowers only open in
> the bright sun. My eyes have adjusted to AZ so much I did not see the
> specular highlights as being distracting, but natural. I guess it is AZ vs AK
> light sensitivity.

That may be, however, at 2AM in June, I can guarantee that Alaska is
MUCH brighter. In fact, it's about as bright as 2PM in December!

The twist to AK light is that it's lower in the sky. Even at midday,
the sun is at a lower angle. Anchorage is south-central of mainland
Alaska and the sun tops out at about 50 degrees. This lower angle
means that the lighting is almost always striking the photography
subject from the side instead of the top. But this lower angle also
means that more atmosphere is involved in the sunlight and we get a
colorcast from particulate in the air. Anyway, that's another story.

AK Schnozz