Re: [OM] IMG: Cooking in confinement

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cooking in confinement
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 07:29:24 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I've taken the opportunity to do some cooking experiments.  I love to
stir-fry, but it can be demanding in getting the ingredients in the right order
so that everything comes out evenly cooked.  One day I decided to try a
different approach.  I first marinated the meat with some oil and flavourings
for a couple of hours.  Then I placed it and the vegetables in a skillet and
tossed until everything was coated.  Then I put it on the stove at low heat and
covered.  Stirred it a couple of times and then added the cornstarch mixture at
the end to make the sauce.  Everything came out just right, and with less
effort and less heat in the kitchen.

>During 7 weeks we were almost totally confined to the house. No going out
>except for buying food, medicines, other similar necessities, and
>accessing medical services. No strolling or exercise (unless you had a
>dog, then you could walk it within 100 meters of your home). Obviously,
>all restaurants and bars were closed. In normal times, we go out a once
>or twice a week, and on Friday night we almost always get pizza from the
>local pizzeria. No such luck now. So, we cooked at home every day,
>something we actually both enjoy, and I have been photographing the more
>photogenic dishes. Many of the dishes shown here, like my vegan Irish
>stew for St. Patrick’s Day and my wife’s homemade pizza, are firsts for
>us. Others, like the pasteles, are part of my wife’s heritage, so she
>makes them from time to time (she is Puerto Rican). The baked salmon
>filets is one of my standard dishes, always accompanied by homemade
>Belgian fries.
>
>The gallery covers the period March 14 - May 2. As from that day, we have
>been allowed out to exercise, and walks on the beach became possible
>again, so even though restaurants and bars remained closed for another
>couple of weeks, I regard that date as the end of confinement.
>
>Have a look. I am getting hungry:
>https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Cooking-in-confinement/

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson