[OM] Larger Lunar Laginappe [was To Moose - Moon Revisited]

Subject: [OM] Larger Lunar Laginappe [was To Moose - Moon Revisited]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 14:40:36 -0700
Back in 2012, for another of the endless "Supermoons", I used my Canon 60D with a Meade 1000/11 mirror lens. Gear details below.

I just reprocessed one of the shots using software not available then. I think this illustrates pretty well the amount of detail easily thought lost to lens failings, subject movement, air movement and low contrast. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Lunacy/Lunacy.htm>

Quoting from my post then:

"I suspect this is close to the limit of what may be done from near sea level on a warmish night for a whole moon shot. The moon is already 72% of image height, so more magnification won't buy much.

In live view, magnified, I could watch the wavering from air movement (as well as the surface moving by). To determine which image was sharpest, I stacked them as layers in PS. Flipping between them, I was surprised at the amount of difference in the shapes of features between them. Clearly the air cells I was shooting through do more than soften, they distort, as well.

 Here's the set-up that worked. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=IMG_0419croof30.jpg>
More detail.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=IMG_0420croof30.jpg>

You might well ask what's with all that stuff on top of the tripod. I couldn't unscrew the 3/8" to 1/4" adapter from the bottom of the 410 geared head, nor locate my easy-outs. So I stacked the 410 on top of the 3047. I figured that would give me the advantage of higher elevation angle, as well, although as it turned out, I might not have needed it. All that load on the 3236/3047 is not a problem.

I tend to remember only how heavy the 3236 tripod is, and forget what a great piece of equipment it is. I only needed two of the three leg sections, leg angles may be individually locked at any angle and the thing is SOLID.

Rather than calculate or look up shutter speeds, I simply bracketed shutter speeds. As you can see, 1/60 was plenty. I couldn't see any sharpness/detail difference with higher speeds, and other IQ factors were poorer.

Looney Moose "