Re: [OM] Speaking of Color {was Olympus E-1 Color Magic]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Color {was Olympus E-1 Color Magic]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 09:27:53 -0800
> What about scanning Reala? Since it was your "all time favorite".

Reala was the first 4-layer film from Fuji. It was simply awesome for
mixed lighting--especially fluorescent lights. It maintained excellent
skin-tones with the mix-and-match lighting that you'd get in an indoor
wedding/event shoot in the typical church setting. It was also really
good at maintaining terrific skintones while allowing flowers and
vegetation to show their awesome colors. Fuji later applied this same
technology to the other pro films and discontinued Reala. There was
also a Reala II for a bit. They did apply some of the same technology
to the standard consumer grade films, but less so for the color
response, but more so for the dynamic range. Kodak did the same thing
with the Portra films, but creating more layers that have different
sensitivity curves.

> Still on my ToDo list is scan/rescan my old film, including a lot of Reala.
> I have not tried scanning Reala lately, so out of the loop on proper
> Vuescan setup. Using Nikon CoolScan LS-4000

I'm sure you'll do just fine. Update Vuescan to the latest/greatest.

> Any more comments on Astia?

It's a steak with no seasoning.

AG Schnozz