Re: [OM] CCD image sensor cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] CCD image sensor cameras
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 10:39:33 -0800
> Which swallow Ken?
> The African or the European swallow?

American, of course. :)

> Same applies to Fu..chrome - Velvia or Provia?

I originally wrote Velvia before editing the sentence. In all honesty,
most of the 'Chromes do a pretty fine job of spectral response
(Ektachrome is obviously the best in that regard), but how that
response is mapped across dye layers is different. And there is also a
tremendous amount of color shifting that occurs with some with long
exposures.

As to which Fujichrome, I'm likely to give the nod to Provia. I prefer
how the greens are mapped with Velvia, but Provia provides more nuance
in the reds and yellows. Also, I REALLY love how Provia has such a
bold magenta color shift with long exposures. 20-30 second exposures
during twilight yields reds, oranges, and other colors in the skies
that no other film (or digital camera) will get. While I wouldn't call
Provia a "one trick pony", when you need that one trick, there is only
one pony that will do it.

In the world of print films, Fujifilm Reala was absolutely my all-time
favorite. If properly processed and scanned, Superia 100 and 200
absolutely rocked. I love the colors from those three films. The
4-layer technology, which really helped with florescent lighting, had
a nice side-effect of being an awesome flower film. When Kodak came
out with their now current versions of Portra, I find them to be the
best all-around color print films available--period. But you aren't
going to set the world on fire with the colors.

> My favorite EVER was Agfa, but it may never have reached the US.
> The Germans loved it so much I had to sneak them out of the country until the
> EU opened the borders :-)
> Check on that Agfachrome 50 silver box - and results !!!

I shot very little of it because when it finally became available
here, I was in severe financial crisis and shot very little film for
several years. Joel Wilcox got me several boxes and I found that the
shadows held up VERY well. The colors were different. The shadows
stayed neutral, but the colors were snappy without going all blobby in
saturation. Unfortunately, I don't think they are holding up very well
through age-fading. My original Fujichrome 50/100 and Agfa slides are
fading a bit. However, without a doubt, had I not been in such dire
straights, I would have gone to Agfa for 75% of my color photography.
(on a side note, that financial crisis drove me back to shooting B&W
film).

One slide film that just quite didn't land right was Kodak Elite
Chrome Extra Color (EBX). That made every picture look like it was
taken during a global nuclear war.

AG Schnozz