Re: [OM] New Blood - RX10 IV [was Friday's Flowers]

Subject: Re: [OM] New Blood - RX10 IV [was Friday's Flowers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 12:45:40 -0800
Interesting Moose--odd about the macro ability of the Rx10--one really does
need to read about it.

The problem is that documentation of many details is scant to non-existent. Nowhere could I find any real specs on C-U. I just lucked out that Ken Rockwell had done the testing, and documented it. <https://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/rx10-iv.htm#macro>

He also has a User Guide of his own.
<https://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/rx10-iv-users-guide.htm>

Same problem with the custom settings on recent Pannys. There is a very sensible, logical way to use them that is not in the manuals. In fact, I've seen it nowhere other than in my own posts here.

They are all such complex devices that complete documentation, before the next one comes out, is essentially, certainly economically, impossible.

The reason I could work out a way to get four customs settings on the Pannys is that I have written quite a lot of code. I thought about how one would implement it in the form they use, and tested my theory. It all hinges on the likelihood that the programmer wouldn't bother to clear out a few registers when they weren't being used. Yup.

How would the folks who write the manuals ever know?

   I would like to try it.

With any luck . . .

I hope the current contagion doesn't put the kibosh
on the endo soc meeting as it is the de facto international meeting.  I plan to
go.

History suggests that whatever the predictions, they will be wrong, and it will be either a bust or worse than we think. We continue with our travel plans.

I've received notices from JetBlue and United removing restrictions on refunds for reservation cancellations. I imagine other will follow suit. Our tickets to NYC mid April were purchased with miles. If cancelled, the miles may be recovered, possibly with a fee.

Our friends organizing Wales in Oct. are purchasing tickets with travel
insurance.

Curiously a friend who is a very occasional substitute Othello management is
going on a trip and rented an Rx100VII from lensrentals and assumed I could
teach her A to Z and set it up.

I included the link to the UG above as it applies mostly to the RX100, too.

I looked at the manual and a few tutorials and don't think I disappointed, but
it can be a complex beastie but I bet similar to the RX10 in basic layout.  I
set it up for me first and then simplified.  The auto iso does seem to work
well.  One can copy some menu items to
"My Menu" preventing some menu diving but not as fast as the Fn quick access.

Yup, that's the place to customize.

One can change the aperture on lens ring with that cam.

Yup, big ring on the lens.

She was pretty competent in the basics by the end of two hours, but that was
time I didn't really have.  She practiced transferring to her phone and has a
strategy to geotag.  She  said she thought she was in compact cam graduate
school, but I clearly had no handle on the nuances of a cam I had never
touched.  I  did fuss with each feature I thought she might use.  Can't say I
hated fussing with new gear.

I was just given a paper as an ad hoc reviewer for  Endo Practice, so less time
to sort gear for trip.  One surprise awaits, but don't think you will be
tempted in the least.
Uh Oh. :-)

Coded Moose