Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era - or perhaps not?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era - or perhaps not?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 14:34:12 -0800
On 1/19/2020 5:56 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 1/18/2020 10:28 PM, Moose wrote:
On 1/15/2020 7:34 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
You can still get Win10 upgrade for free, I just upgraded my Win 7 to 10
yesterday, so far so good.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-yes-you-can-still-upgrade-free-from-windows-7-heres-how/#?ftag=CAD5920658&bhid=20819185968674015470137181229058
As I have a past, and possible future, need for the XP virtual machine in
Win7Pro, I devised a plan. I cloned my boot drive and swapped the clone in (to
make sure it works.) Not a bad thing to do anyway, as the drive has been a
Samsung EVO 840 500G, that now has several years heavy use, and the clone, with
only a few hours on it while cloning for backup is a Samsung Pro 850 512G.

I'll then need another B-U/clone drive, which is not big deal. If I need the XP
machine, I can just swap in the old drive.

I have now tried updating to Win10 4-5 times, always failing with the error message
"0x8007042B - 0x2000D The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error
during MIGRATE_DATA operation"

There are several solutions proposed, by MS and others, none of which have as
yet succeeded.

I sure don't want to do a clean, new install. Sooooo much stuff to reinstall .
. .

Try Try Again Moose
The problem with cloning a drive is also maintaining the original HW for it.

I don't anticipate a problem there. The drive is a recent, SATA SSD, and I don't much anticipate needing to use it. I just want the option.

My solution was to use VMWare to virtualize my XP

To me, the beauty of the Win7 Virtual machine is that is IS XP. Given that I was developing complex software, I didn't want any possibility of compatibility problems messing up the end product.

and Win 7 systems from the drive. That way they can migrate to my newer systems
and I can retire the old HW. The advantage of virtualizing the drive is you can
take snapshots of a clean state that you can revert to if necessary.

When I change hardware, I'll worry about it then. :-)

It may ask to reactivate, but that always seemed to work OK for me.

A clean reinstall is really the better way to go due to the windows Registry.

Yes, and yet . . . It does appear that Laplink PCmover software may give me the best of both worlds. It claims to migrate just those apps one wants, leaving behind the dross, while avoiding endless re-installations, and the search for original installation packages for at least a few.

It also claims to work from discs, not only PC to PC.

Over time I start to see how clunky winXP was.

I got a lot of good work done on XP. No nostalgia, though.

Migrating Moose