Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 09:04:21 -0800
> From: "Pearce, Wilfred" <pearce@xxxxxxxx <mailto:pearce@xxxxxxxx>>
>
> Perhaps for you a wise move. The change to mac isn't economically feasible
> for many of us

If you don’t need the “latest and greatest,” used Macs are reasonably priced.

In addition, there are compelling reasons to NOT have a new Mac. In the name of
security, the OS has become rather draconian. The T2 chip enforces such in
hardware. Old UNIX hackers who got into Macs because it is pure UNIX underneath
are livid.

I haven’t bought a new computer in a dozen years or so. Just load up an old one
with tonnes of RAM and a big SSD. I can edit 20 Mpx images with comfort, and I
doubt my 256 Mpx drum scans of 4”x5” Velvia would be less than “coffee-break”
editing even on a brand new computer.

Jan