Re: [OM] Musings - Re: setting up a photo database

Subject: Re: [OM] Musings - Re: setting up a photo database
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 05:20:16 -0700
At 1/7/2020 04:09 PM, you wrote:

>Tim Grey has answered that question a few times - not sure how accessible
>his q&a are if youâ??re not a paying subscriber though...
>Jez

I was searching my emails and there is a lot on catalogs. Not sure if this
helps but I found the following. For the link below, Tim's "Real-World
Organizational Workflow" is $19.

Today's Question
When traveling I download daily to a laptop and back up to a solid state
external hard drive. At the end of the trip I export everything as a catalog.
Back home I copy the catalog files to the home computer hard drive. However,
when I "import from another catalog" in Lightroom the resulting folder
structure doesn't match my original folder structure used during the trip. This
results in two or three sub-folders which I do not need or want. Is there a way
to avoid the sub-folders in the first place?

Tim's Quick Answer:
My recommendation is to use the option to add photos from their current
location when using the "Import from Another Catalog" feature in Lightroom
Classic. You can then move the folder containing your photos to the master
storage location as a separate step. In this case I suspect you are using the
Copy option, and defining a lower-level folder as the destination than you need.

More Detail:
When you return from a trip where you have used a separate catalog for
downloading and managing photos along the way, you'll want to merge that
catalog with your master catalog at home. This typically involves first using
the "Export as Catalog" command to export a copy of your traveling catalog as
well as copies of all photo the photos in the catalog to an external hard
drive. This enables the exported catalog and photos to be available on the
computer where your master catalog resides.

You can then connect the external hard drive to the computer where your master
catalog resides, and then use the "Import from Another Catalog" command. I
recommend keeping this process simple by making use of the option to add the
photos at their current location, rather than copying them to a different
location.

Then, after the process has completed, the photos imported from your traveling
catalog will still be on the external hard drive. You can then drag the folder
containing the images on that external drive to the location you use for
storing all of your photos, and the folder and all of its contents will be
moved. This also ensures that Lightroom knows where the folder has moved to, so
none of your photos will go missing in the process.

After completing these tasks, you can retain the traveling catalog and photos
as a backup until you've had a chance to update your backup.

Note that this overall process is covered in my "Real-World Organizational
Workflow" course, which you can find in the GreyLearning library here:

<https://www.greylearning.com/courses/real>https://www.greylearning.com/courses/real
[]