Re: [OM] Interesting denoise comparison

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting denoise comparison
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 06:14:06 -0800
At 11/4/2019 10:38 PM, N. I. Moose wrote:

>A follow-up:
>
>We had a rather magical encounter with a young woman who claimed not to be a
>fairy, as she led us to a magic fairy ring in the woods on The Burren.
>
>I'm not at all sure I believe her. I took a few shots of her later, as we had
>tea with her, at ISO 3200. As I processed one, I found that neither of the
>first two NR products I used gave me what I wanted.
>
>Herewith, a comparison.
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/NR/Some%20NR.htm>
>
>Topaz Denoise AI has been magic for me on some images, but not so much here.
>Limited NR and yellow/blue false color artifacts.
>
>NeatImage v8 did better in light areas, worse in dark ones, less obvious false
>color artifacts.
>
>DxO whupped both solidly, in NR, detail and complete lack of false color
>artifacts.
>
>The DxO color is a little better, but that's because it was way too yellow,
>and I messed with it. DxO's quite different take on color, contrast, etc.
>from ACR is one reason I don't use it more.
>
>Silent Moose

I think the amount of noise makes a difference as to which Denoise works best.
The Topaz AI works better with small amounts of noise.

There are knobs to adjust and wondering, with Neat Image, how the profile was
generated that you used? If using a dark area to profile, does that change the
result?

PhotoLab 3 is out. Which DXO noise reduction, in Optics Pro or PhotoLab Prime?

For my image shot at ISO 65535, the noise reduction in DxO PhotoLab 3 does not
do as well as Neat Image, but comes close if using Prime at 100 setting, but
Neat Image wins for that one.

So I stand by the idea each one works better depending on the amount of noise,
the settings used, etc. a lot of variables.

Topaz Labs software, like Studio 2, feels green. There are still a lot of bugs
to work out in their tools. And for the AI tools in general, can change as they
add new input to the AI algorithm. Sometimes good old math works best.

WayneS