Re: [OM] iso-invariance - conceding

Subject: Re: [OM] iso-invariance - conceding
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 15:45:34 -0400
n 10/12/2019 8:01 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
I found an interesting site related to ISO and various cameras.
And it all supports what Moosexpert has been saying all along, duh.

WHEW!

On 10/13/2019 10:27 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
. . .
So what Moose has been saying is that you get more dynamic range by
setting the ISO low and setting the EV compensation to -2/3.

Well, no, I didn't mean to say that. I don't have the raw file for the example I posted with me on the road, so I don't know in what context I took it. It does look like I did a typical thing for me, skipping the EV comp dial in favor of half pressing the shutter button while aiming at a highlight area (or, in other cases, shadow area.)

I'd guess the actual exposure for mid tones was closer to -3 EV. -2/3 is my default; has been for many cameras over many years.

Then pull back in the shadows in post processing - Because the Shadow
Improvement
with ISO is nearly flat but the overall dynamic range decreases with ISO.

Just so, but with much more negative EV comp. than you assumed from my sample.
-3 EV is a pretty good starting point.

. . .
I have not thought about what the implications are for using auto-ISO,
other than you can probably shoot at -3EV and be able to pull back in
the shadows in post processing.

I think a lot depends on how a particular camera combines EV comp. and auto-ISO. My Pannys seem to understand that I am intentionally underexposing, and do not increase ISO to stymie that.