Re: [OM] [OT] Topaz Studio 2 artistic explorations

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Topaz Studio 2 artistic explorations
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 13:10:49 -0700
At 10/3/2019 09:56 AM, Bill Pearce wrote:
>NO!!! I can't accept this. The use of the word artistic with automated
>processes flies in the face of all that is artistic. Would you buy a painting
>done by a robot? That's Thomas Kinkaide. Anything with the term artistic in it
>is something done by an ARTIST. And an artist does things him or herself. If
>you wish to use automated things and call them artistic, learn to make you own
>photoshop actions and use them. Don't buy them from somebody else.
>
>In no way does anything artistic come from a machine.

I think you are not understanding the "AI" aspect of using the tool. A robot is
not making the picture. You seem to be stuck on that point, or the point that
someone else did some work to create it. I highly recommend reading CTein's
latest newsletter, although I cannot find it online, just email. Just because
someone uses PS actions versus a TensorFlow optimized filter, one is no more
art than the other. Just different ways of working with the tools. One could
argue that a photograph is not "art" because it was not create with a brush and
paint. And that may be true by someone's particular Art religion.

The AI machine is a tool for an photographer's vision. How the machine learning
happens is in the hands of an individual by what they optimize for and IMO it
is a tool that can be used for artistic endeavors. They call it artificial
*intelligence*, but really it is just a fancy neural net filter with thousands
of optimized coefficients. It is a fancy tool that has human input to create
and use. There are an infinite number of possible ways to create an AI filter,
all determined by what you (or someone else) decide to optimize for.

Just because someone else did the work to create the AI filter versus me
struggling with PS actions in my mind has no relevance on the value of the
result.

The digital camera today is already doing a lot of processing for you. But the
camera did not decide what to see. My choice to take what I see and manipulate
it is me using my, so called, "artistic" vision. If I like the result, it
doesn't matter whether I used a camera or a paint brush.

Here is something related by CTein - per AI and Sharpen AI filter:

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/09/topaz-labs-sharpen-ai-artificial-common-sense.html

I won't convince you from you viewpoint, just that it is not mine. Neither
views will change what new image processing tools others ae going to create
with TensofFlow technology. I like the results and I'm having fun. That's all I
care about. I'm not an art collector either. So I'm probably not a good judge
of what is so called 'art' or 'artistic'. I applaud all those on this list who
share their 'artistic' work. It is very inspirational. Each one has a
particular style of vision.

The past couple of days I have been making my own bone stimulator. You can see
the details here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sTnNgv9toSxmjfaa9

I had surgery on my right ankle and later messed it up, as you can see. Thought
I was going to have to have 2nd surgery, but fortunately it may heal on its
own. This prompted me to design and create a bone stimulator. I use LTSpice and
my knowledge to design the circuits and simulate it. I used IAR workbench to
write code and program an MSP430 dev board to control the timing. I ordered
parts and drew a form of layout with pencil and paper. With a microscope and
exacto knife I created the circuit board. I used microscope, tweezers, wire
stippers, and soldering iron to add parts to the board. I made a jig and drill
to wind a 4 inch coil of 100 turns for about 1400uH, according to online
inductance calculator tool. It may seem a lot of work, but for me it was the
fastest way to get what I wanted.

Just because I used a lot of tools, worked by hand, and used my own knowledge
to create a PEMF bone stimulator --- I don't call this Art. Even though it was
a highly creative endeavor on my part. Who says art has to be a creative
endeavor rather than just having fun?

WayneS