Re: [OM] Well, that sucks

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, that sucks
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 10:08:16 -0800
I have taken a close look at the G95. I think the camera is probably
one of the most underrated AND overrated cameras on the market. I
really like it. But I will say that there is something about the OM-D
E-M1 Mk II that just seems "better". There's an intangible that makes
it fall to hand and eye easier to me. That said, I am actually quite
enamored with the E-M1X, but that ain't happening.

The dual-mode (IBIS plus OIS) stabilization of the Panasonic is a
perceived advantage. Honestly, I don't think it's quite the advantage
as it's made out to be because the combination of the two can result
in corner vignetting. From video perspective, I think there certainly
is an advantage, but not for stills.

If a person were to have ONLY ONE m43 body and was doing any form of
beyond-basic video, I think the G95 is the one to get. But for stills,
I think the E-M1 Mk II is a better photographer's camera. It's a
nuance thing, but Panasonic is better suited for video.

For situations where photography is the secondary activity, I prefer
the brick-shaped cameras that follow the Leica design ethos. Panasonic
has certainly learned much from their continued relationship with
Leica and has done a good job of incorporating many of the specific
advantages while still providing mega-features. The GX85, for example,
is very influenced by Leica and has the same general handling as my
old L1. I like that. The adjustment dial around the shutter release is
a good case in point. It just works. This little camera is staying put
with me till it dies. It's a perfect "go anywhere camera".

If my wife allowed me to spend my next paycheck on a new camera (not
happening, but I can dream), and it had to be m43, it would be the
E-M1X and a couple of decent lenses. If it was half a paycheck, it
would be the G95 with one decent lens. The video features are of high
interest to me.

But it does come down to one specific issue where I think the
Panasonics are far better than the Olympus cameras. B&W conversions.
For whatever mysterious reasons, the Panasonic image files naturally
convert to B&W better than pretty much any camera I've ever tried.
This is an area where Canons are absolutely horrid. Beyond horrid. Way
beyond despicable. Olympus and SONY are usually acceptable, but
Fujifilm, Leica, and Panasonic are MUCH better. And in my personal
experience, the Panasonics rule in this regard. I can get a really
nice B&W conversion without even trying. Forget SilverEfex Pro, just
do a straight conversion in Lightroom and crank a couple of sliders
around and Bob's your uncle.

AK Schnozz