Re: [OM] Telephoto reach, was Re: Back in the Fold

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto reach, was Re: Back in the Fold
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 01:14:08 -0700
On 8/26/2019 11:48 PM, ChrisB wrote:
That kit is tempting, Moose.

I was at our local airfield for its annual air show on Sunday.  In the past I’ve
manage some lovely shots because the crowd line has been very close to the display line.
Unfortunately, the crash of a Hunter T7 at Shoreham
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Shoreham_Airshow_crash> a few years ago has
resulted in a tightening of those parameters, the result of which is that the aircraft are
further away and higher.  My Fuji 50-230 zoom was not enough and I had to perform much
cropping:

https://www.blipfoto.com/entry/2612364043737893378

Look at the extra shot below, of a P-51; it’s about 25% of the area of the original.  I could
have done with a bit of “Moose Reach” that day.

Take a look at the  photos of vultures here.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/dLziA3ZEzDSt2Chv9>

They are much smaller than planes, and up pretty high. GX9 with 100-400, a central group of focus points and medium burst mode, is quite effective. Also, possibly cropped more than the P-51.

Long View Moose