Re: [OM] An appeal to the collective techno wisdom of this group

Subject: Re: [OM] An appeal to the collective techno wisdom of this group
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 12:59:38 +0930
Hi Bill,

I have no exposure to the devices in question (are they the 'Magic' line
of products?) but I'd have to suggest it is likely that they are
bluetooth.

BT is a low power short-reach protocol, and can easily suffer from
interference.  It uses the 2.4GHz ISM (industrial, scientific and
medical) RF band. As this band is basically unlicenced a lot of stuff
ends up in this space. WiFi (b/g/n/ax) lives here, as do some cordless
telephones and garage door openers. This wavelength is also near the
natural resonant frequency of water so microwave ovens are also a source
of interference to all of the above. What I'm suggesting is that 2.4GHz
interference can come from unexpected places so you may need to think
outside of the box.

I'm assuming that your router has WiFi. Is it close to your computer?

That your good lady's absence seems to clear it up, that's a data point.
Whilst direct interference from her iPhone may be unlikely, is it
communicating with a WiFi modem/router (the increased traffic may make
interference more likely)? Is the iPhone paired with the car's onboard
systems? Maybe ask her to turn her phone off while the problem is
happening?

I'd suggest looking for any other nearby device with bluetooth or WiFi
enabled and turn them off (or disable BT/WiFi) for a while to see if
the issue is repeatable.

davidt