Re: [OM] Mountains and Clouds at Sunset

Subject: Re: [OM] Mountains and Clouds at Sunset
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 09:58:06 -0800
> WOW!
> How do you find time to go to work?

Thank you.  Work?  Uh oh... I knew I was forgetting something.

I changed jobs about a month ago. I now work part of the time in the
lower-48, and in my home office area the rest of the time. I should
post a picture of the view from my desk. Just sitting here at the
computer, I can see at least eight mountains. Sometimes, the moose
will walk right past my window. It's funny because suddenly the entire
scene goes brown. If it wasn't for the glass, I could reach out and
touch them as they go by. In another week or two, the bears should
start showing up and I'll need to carry pepper spray when mowing the
lawn, walking, running, photographing. Our house is literally on the
edge of civilization. The forest is about 30 feet or so from my
window.

Anyway, with the job change, I don't do the daily commute into
Anchorage, but Karen still does for her job. Before snow flies again,
she is planning on quitting her job and either one or both of us will
spend most of the winter down south. It's a bit up in the air, though,
because consulting work isn't for the faint of heart. I've got to get
past the next two months and then will have a one year extension. Once
that happens, I'll probably start the process of eliminating one
employment layer, but that won't pay nearly as well so no hurry.
Meanwhile, half of my entire existence is paid for.

This weekend, I'll be leaving for about 4 weeks straight. When I get
back, it will be an entirely different season here. I'm hoping to have
a PAC-NW Zuikofest at some point. I'm bringing my camera bag this
trip.

The one problem I have is sleep. It's extremely hard for me to sleep
here in Alaska. I just want to be outdoors photographing, walking,
hiking, running, etc., and in June and July it doesn't really get all
that dark, even at 2AM. The sunset and sunrise skies last for hours
and hours. It's funny, because I'll go out for a walk at 10PM and the
sun is still up high in the sky and it's almost like the middle of the
day, but nobody else is out--they're all in bed or getting ready for
bed so the walking paths are empty. This is a military neighborhood,
so tons of families and people who wake up at 5AM. I have the entire
neighborhood to myself.

The sun is shining today, there are some high spotty clouds, and it's
simply glorious.

AK Schnozz