Re: [OM] IMG: 200mm Bird Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 200mm Bird Images
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:50:34 -0500
Moose,

To start out, I was not really trying to do a lens comparison.  I had recently been shooting a 200mm Takumar on the E-1, because I happen to like the Kodak sensor.  Yes, it's only 5MP.  But, for my purposes it works Ok.  I mentioned to a friend that the 200 FL was nice, but it sure would be nice to have AF.  He mentioned the 50-200, so I researched it and bought one.

I had the lens for about 3 hours when I took the picture I posted, obviously a mistake, because I had not really learned how to configure the camera and lens properly.  Rather than depending on "program", I needed to pick a proper shutter speed and let another variable float.  My apologies for taking up your time with this.

As to the AF response to a moving airplane or parachute, I have had similar difficulties with my Fuji gear, so it's not an E-1 problem alone.

I only have one other 4/3 body, an E-510, and it has only 10MP, which doesn't help much, but also has a CMOS sensor, which has advantages, but not in color quality when compared to the CCD of the E-1.  One of the main reasons I went to the E-1 is the robustness of the body, when dealing with heavy lenses.  This is not really a problem with the 50-200, but was a concern with my 200 Takumar.

Let's forget about this misbegotten comparison.  I would delete the image, but there are a few folks that always look at posts about 2 weeks after everyone else, and would require an explanation as to where the image went.

By the way, I also have several uncirculated sequential $2 bills in my bank box.  They appear to make nice subjects for resolution tests.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA