Re: [OM] Pretty Pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Pretty Pictures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:53:09 -0800
<<<Did you notice the FL of that one? Yes, like some others, 400mm. F9--guessing single shot not stacked with no CU diopter.

Yup. Single shot. No C-U needed for distance of 38'. :-)

Dr. Diffraction might have been upset but PP pulled it off.

Eh. People get the idea that diffraction is a cliff, off of which IQ falls to a horrible death. I've done some tests of my own, and it ain't so. About this lens, saith Imaging-Resource:

"At 300mm and 400mm we begin to see results which are slightly less sharp: it's still very good, just not as tack sharp as you'll see at 100mm. Diffraction limiting begins to set in at ƒ/11, but you won't notice any impact on sharpness until ƒ/16."

I'm not sure I agree, but in any case, f9 isn't in a danger zone. I could claim I set that for DoF, as it was at a distance and on a tilted rock face. But prior and later shots were also at f9, so either I unintentionally bumped it or I set it for DoF on something else, and forgot to change it. I intend to shoot it at f7.1, which is a teensy bit sharper than wide open f6.3

Deconvolution does wonders on these long FLs.

Un Diffracted Moose