Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 17:07:55 -0800
On 2/5/2019 3:41 AM, Mike Bloor wrote:
At 04:41 05/02/2019, you wrote:
I am planning to visit Northern New York State, near Rochester. My travel options are (1) fly Dublin to New York, 3 1/2 hour ...
...snip...
... Rochester. Option 1 involves around three hours of passing through pre-immigration at Dublin Airport, which is a nightmare,

It is, indeed. Any idea why that's so? Some jurisdictional disagreement? Airport security seems to me as through/careful as any in the US. Then we stood in an endless line, waiting for a rather perfunctory bag check and passport check.

Pre-flight immigration is meant to be a big selling point for flights to the US from Ireland, saving the three hour queue at US airports for non-US passport holders. All it does though is move the queue 3,000 miles East.

And subject their own citizens to the wait - and by doing so, make the non-US
wait longer.

The whole operation in Dublin is run by the USA, to their rules.

OH yes, I understand that. I know where the blame lies, but not anything to do
about it.

We'll be back in the next year or two. Is Shannon better, for US citizens?

Curious Traveler Moose