Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA
From: "Michael R. Collins" <Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 10:52:08 -0500
Weather in March: it's a gamble, it could be nasty or just fine. That northwest part of New York State is the real issue, it can get huge snowstorms in winter, and sometimes roads/highways are closed; years ago I drove regularly between Toronto and Rochester in December/January, including snowstorms, so have had that fun. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have experience driving in that sort of weather, plus you'll be on the "wrong" side of the road. If you do drive, from the Toronto airport it's about 90 minutes to the border best case (but could be a couple of hours in rush-hour traffic), highly variable wait time to cross the border (could be 1/2 hour, could be two hours or more), and about 90 minutes from there to Rochester.

Crossing in a Canadian hire car: you will need first to ensure that the car is allowed to be driven into the US, some contracts will only allow Ontario or Canadian provinces; also, insurance may be an issue cross-border. Second, given the (how shall we say - heightened?) scrutiny of visitors to the US, you'd need to be *very* sure that you're well documented, with a credible story of why you're taking this route rather than flying into Rochester after entering at a major airport (e.g., NYC).

Am I trying to dissuade you from option 2 :-) ?

Michael