Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA
From: Mike Bloor <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:41:12 +0000
At 04:41 05/02/2019, you wrote:
I am planning to visit Northern New York State, near Rochester. My travel options are (1) fly Dublin to New York, 3 1/2 hour ...
...snip...
... Rochester. Option 1 involves around three hours of passing through pre-immigration at Dublin Airport, which is a nightmare,

It is, indeed. Any idea why that's so? Some jurisdictional disagreement? Airport security seems to me as through/careful as any in the US. Then we stood in an endless line, waiting for a rather perfunctory bag check and passport check.

Pre-flight immigration is meant to be a big selling point for flights to the US from Ireland, saving the three hour queue at US airports for non-US passport holders. All it does though is move the queue 3,000 miles East. The whole operation in Dublin is run by the USA, to their rules.

No other country seems to be like this. OK, I have waited 30 minutes to get into Australia, Turkey and Canada, and 15 minutes to get into Thailand. Other countries that you might imagine as bureaucratic are no problem. Laos is a breeze and arriving in China really fast and painless.

Mike --