Re: [OM] theft [was: OT: not quite]

Subject: Re: [OM] theft [was: OT: not quite]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 08:59:16 -0800
> From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> ... while in a small shop just a few feet
> away,  before we could check into our hotel,  the car was broken into,  and
> all gone...
>
> Any thoughts ?

So sorry for your loss! It must feel like a personal violation.

I have to make a conscious effort to be defensive when away from our wee
island, where I go into the grocery store, leaving thousands of dollars of
stuff on the front seat of an unlocked truck with the keys in the ignition. (If
you call them quick enough, the RCMP will go wait at the ferry terminal to
catch off-island thieves. Otherwise, someone will leave a nice note if they had
to "borrow" your stuff.)

Having been with Olympus for 42 years, my advice is to stick with it. Just
because you're disappointed with the OM-G doesn't mean the OM-3 isn't around
the corner. I'd say replace the essentials used, and hold back enough of the
insurance money for anything sweet that tickles your fancy (150-400/4.5?) that
comes along.

The "abortive loyalists" I've experienced all appear lost, switching systems
like some people change clothes, like the mid-age crisis guy who buys a red
sports car and divorces his wife of 30 years, and ends up going through several
"trophy wives" afterward. There's a lot to be said for the comforting feel of a
system you know well.

Ask yourself this: was the gear you lost doing what you wanted it to do? If so,
just ignore the fancy baubles, bangles, and beads that the other systems taunt
you with. I'm so impressed with all the amelioration that Olympus has put
toward closing the Fool Frame gap. Yea, you might wish you had Fool Frame if
you have to shoot a raven in a coal mine, but how much of that will you be
doing? Between industry-leading IBIS, built-in HDR, Live View, Hi-Res, and
probably a few others I've missed, I'm not missing the small bit of noise and
range from Fool Frame at all.

My E-M1.2 is still pleasantly surprising me. I don't need a temptress. Go out
and get a nice used one.

Jan