[OM] OT: New Wrinkle with Facebook

Subject: [OM] OT: New Wrinkle with Facebook
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 10:00:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     This past weekend, Facebook when off the air for a while.  It seems,
though, that there's more to this than just a simple outage.  You might not
notice this if you have cable or DSL internet, but if you have dialup you will.
 The amount of data being downloaded for just a simple Facebook page has risen
sharply, and any Facebook page I try to look at takes more than an hour to
download.  At a rate of about 8M/hr for dialup, this means that Facebook pages
are now more than 8M, minumum.

     Prior to this, it only took about 10 minutes to download simple,
uncluttered pages such as mine.  But now, I can't even look at that one.  Any
neighbourhood information, such as police activity and broken water lines, can
no longer be seen here at home.  Fortunately, I do get email notifications, but
only the first half line of any text content comes through on those.  So,
Facebook has put the dialup community into a societal dead zone.

     Welcome to America.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson