Re: [OM] OT : Californians' first hand advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] OT : Californians' first hand advice needed
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 17:09:47 -0900
> The Smithsonian tv channel carried a documentary about Anchorage this
> afternoon.

Anchorage has a short, but pretty intense history. Only in the past 30
years or so did it lose the "frontier town" characteristic. During the
'70s and '80s, it was beyond "wild".

> A February highlight looked to be the Running with the Reindeer event in
> downtown Anchorage ............... Alaska's answer to the Running of the
> Bulls in Pamplona, Spain and about as nerve racking for the contestants.
> Despite being a shade on the chilly side many of the contestants dressed up
> in costumes, some very skinny, which would have looked very much in place in
> New Orleans for Mardi Gras !

Alaskans are a strange lot. You can tell who moved here vs. grew up
here, because those who grew up here love it when winter finally
arrives again (after the short few week hiatus). I'll probably skip
the Running of the Reindeer event again this year.

> Images of Anchorage from the top of Flattop Mountain were stunning
> ...................... an easy day hike was implied.

Yes. Flattop is a VERY popular hike. I haven't been up there yet
because I've been so busy exploring so many other trails. The hiking
opportunities and mountain climbs are endless. Unlike nearly every
other "hiking mecca", the sheer quantity and variety of trails is
beyond imagination. And there are trails for every imaginable skillset
and ability. Everything from paved and maintained, to "bring your
ropes". Literally hundreds of miles of trails within the Anchorage
borough.

One trail that I hiked has a bit of a steep slope at the end. The
final 300' hillside it went up was about 70 degrees. With the wet
ground, I was at the limit of adhesion and went three-point contact at
all times. Any steeper and would have needed additional climbing gear.
Looking down was not very comforting. It took about 45 minutes to
traverse this last climb. But the scene was well worth it.

AK Schnozz