Re: [OM] THE PRO'S, V.S. THE MORTALS

Subject: Re: [OM] THE PRO'S, V.S. THE MORTALS
From: Willie Wonka via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 21:43:08 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
 Ha...And I always thought that I am younger than you. I guess thats, because
you always sound more mature...:)
Just turned 52 in August and will need reading glasses within next couple of
years as I cant focus as close as I used to.
I had two systems during the film days: Olympus OM and Yashica D, if you can
call the latter a system. I have shared with the list before that the OM screen
brings the image too close to my eyes and not being able to "see the entire
picture". The Yashica came later and it became a surprise to see how natural
was to look with both eyes at the large ground screen, able to see the "big
picture" if you look from a distance, or see as much detail as you wish if I
stuck my nose closer.

My current camera is a Sony A65 which has a great EVF, but I rarely use it,
because I chimp. My chimping is always prior to taking the picture tho...70% of
my picture are shot in manual mode in some form or low or high key ie
over/under exposure or shot in low light conditions.
Having the ability to see the exposure of the final image prior to taking the
shot is the most valuable camera tool for me.
Best
Boris

   Subject: Re: [OM] The Pro's, v.s. the MortalsFrom: Jan Steinman
<jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:03:54 -0700> From: Willie Wonka
<alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>>> > I do not
understand why one would look through a peep hole, when all could be > done by
looking with both eyes at the screen.
You must be under 40. Congratulations! Don’t worry; this condition won’t last
long. :-)
I’m in my extremely late 40s. With the diopter adjusted for my eye, I can see
details in the viewfinder that I cannot discern on the screen.
The viewfinder also functions well in bright ambient light, whereas a screen
does not.
The viewfinder also uses much less energy than the screen, increasing battery
life. I have mine set to turn off as soon as I stop looking at it, preserving
even more energy. I regularly go well over 400 shots on a battery.
I can also review images in the viewfinder more quickly than I can on the
screen, especially if I’ve been using the viewfinder for shooting. I’m
surprised Art Wolfe does not do this. (He must be using a DSLR, without an EVF.)
My style of “chimping” is to hit the “play” button immediately after a shot,
showing it on the viewfinder. I then use the back thumb wheel to zoom in. I
often then immediately hit the “delete” button. I find that quicker than
touch-screen zoom adjustment, and my eye is right there, ready for the next
shot.
About the only thing I cannot do in the viewfinder that I can on the screen is
the touch-screen functions, which I never use, anyway. Oh, one other thing:
showing pics to others. That’s about the only time I unfold the screen, is to
show my shots to others. Otherwise, I leave it folded up, to protect the screen.
But then, I grew up with film SLRs, which had no screen. And I’ve never owned a
cell phone, “smart,” or otherwise. So I’ve never developed the habit, and am
thoroughly comfortable with a viewfinder.
I’ve done a lot of “screen work” on large format, but most of that was through
a loupe, which is more like a re-positionable viewfinder than a screen.
Bottom line: I find the viewfinder experience to be essential to photography. I
won’t buy a camera without a viewfinder.
Jan
http://lists.thomasclausen.net/mailman/private/olympus/Themed Olympus Photo
Exhibition: http://www.tope.nl/
[More with this subject...]<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>[OM]
The Pro's, v.s. the Mortals, Willie Wonka via olympusRe: [OM] The Pro's, v.s.
the Mortals, Jan Steinman <=Re: [OM] The Pro's, v.s. the Mortals, Ken NortonRe:
[OM] The Pro's, v.s. the Mortals, Jan Steinman