Re: [OM] The Pro's, v.s. the Mortals

Subject: Re: [OM] The Pro's, v.s. the Mortals
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:03:54 -0700
> From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>>
>
> I do not understand why one would look through a peep hole, when all could be
> done by looking with both eyes at the screen.

You must be under 40. Congratulations! Don’t worry; this condition won’t last
long. :-)

I’m in my extremely late 40s. With the diopter adjusted for my eye, I can see
details in the viewfinder that I cannot discern on the screen.

The viewfinder also functions well in bright ambient light, whereas a screen
does not.

The viewfinder also uses much less energy than the screen, increasing battery
life. I have mine set to turn off as soon as I stop looking at it, preserving
even more energy. I regularly go well over 400 shots on a battery.

I can also review images in the viewfinder more quickly than I can on the
screen, especially if I’ve been using the viewfinder for shooting. I’m
surprised Art Wolfe does not do this. (He must be using a DSLR, without an EVF.)

My style of “chimping” is to hit the “play” button immediately after a shot,
showing it on the viewfinder. I then use the back thumb wheel to zoom in. I
often then immediately hit the “delete” button. I find that quicker than
touch-screen zoom adjustment, and my eye is right there, ready for the next
shot.

About the only thing I cannot do in the viewfinder that I can on the screen is
the touch-screen functions, which I never use, anyway. Oh, one other thing:
showing pics to others. That’s about the only time I unfold the screen, is to
show my shots to others. Otherwise, I leave it folded up, to protect the screen.

But then, I grew up with film SLRs, which had no screen. And I’ve never owned a
cell phone, “smart,” or otherwise. So I’ve never developed the habit, and am
thoroughly comfortable with a viewfinder.

I’ve done a lot of “screen work” on large format, but most of that was through
a loupe, which is more like a re-positionable viewfinder than a screen.

Bottom line: I find the viewfinder experience to be essential to photography. I
won’t buy a camera without a viewfinder.

Jan