Re: [OM] Internet Outage

Subject: Re: [OM] Internet Outage
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 18:43:21 -0400
Ours has been out off and on for the past few days, but we have seen the
bucket trucks working on the wires up and down the highway so we haven't
been really concerned.  I'm sure they are adding faster lines for lower
fees because they are interested in the welfare of their consumers,
especially because they are a monopoly and we have no choice of ISPs.  ;-)

Tina

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 6:13 PM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>      Around 1215 PDT I was writing a reply on Facebook when the connection
> went dead.  Not the modem-to-modem connection, but the internet behind the
> Earthlink modem.  Odd.  So I tried different modem numbers, getting the
> same results.  Then I tried some Copper.net numbers, with no improvement.
> I tried another modem on my end.  Then another laptop.  Then the desktop
> Win98/SE machine.  Still nothing.
>
>      Seems we had a total internet blackout here.  I didn't bother calling
> Earthlink tech support as they (on the other side of the world) would just
> give me the usual "everything is fine" response, which is never true.  And
> I'm not in the mood for pulling teeth.
>
>      So, I walked over to the park to feed the ducks.  Came back home, and
> around 1400 PDT the internet returned.  I wonder if an underground optical
> fibre was cut by a flash flood or some contractor digging without a site
> review.  Hard to tell, and nobody anywhere will ever admit to an outage.
> Nuh-uh!
>
> Chris
>
> When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
>      - Hunter S. Thompson
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com