Re: [OM] Tioga Pass Rd. Closed from West

Subject: Re: [OM] Tioga Pass Rd. Closed from West
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 11:36:46 -0700
Cc: Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At least 3 other routes, all north of Lee Vining, but don't require going
all the way to Carson City. CA108 out of Bridgeport. CA89 from Topaz Lake
over Monitor Pass. CA88 out of Gardnerville (which is essentially Carson
City).

But this isn't much different than normal. There are few ways to drive west
across the Sierras. There's no driving route west, heading south along
US395 from Lee Vining until you've gone all the way to Inyokern. Winter is
worse. Last time I was up that way (2006), Tioga Pass had only just opened
on 17 June. This past year it wasn't opened until 29 June. When it's
closed, you're well advised to take US50 out of Carson City, because most
of the other routes are likely closed or very dangerous.

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 10:41 AM Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>      This should be interesting.  That's probably the only route across
> the Sierra Nevada between Carson City and Kernville, unless you're on
> horseback.
>

> >For those of you planning to visit Yosemite soon:
> >
> https://www.monolake.org/today/2018/08/02/tioga-road-highway-120-is-closed-yosemite-is-accessible-from-the-east/
> >

> Chris
>
> When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
>      - Hunter S. Thompson
> --
>
> --
---