Re: [OM] OT: Internet Service

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Internet Service
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:11:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     It would not surprise me if Earthlink was buying connectivity from 19CL.
That would go a long way to explaining the problems.  I know what 32K and up
looks like, and most of the time I seem to be at less than 20K.

     There are many times when you'll get a modem connection, but there's
nothing behind it.  Just empty space.

     The more I think about taking Copper.com up on their trial offer and
keeping the Earthlink account, the better it sounds.

     I went looking to see if these dialup problems were universal, and I found
that outside metropolitan areas it's still in wide usage, and in areas where
there is no cable service it is the only option.

>Do be aware that some of the other providers resell Earthlink
>connectivity. And the rest are down to a few modem banks mostly
>located in Las Vegas and ALL are severely affected by the conversion
>of the POTS network to VoIP technology. The deterioration of the
>dialup connections is a real problem and on a good day you really are
>lucky to get a reliable 28.8 equivalent throughput regardless of what
>speed your modem thinks it is training up at. The only reliable dialup
>connection you are going to get is from the ILEC or a CLEC in your
>telephone exchange that still has the modem shelves located in that
>specific serving wire center. Otherwise, if it hasn't already been
>converted to VoIP, it soon will and dialup becomes usable for checking
>email only.
>
>While I am technically not under any NDA with said company, I'll
>refrain from commenting as I know far, far, far, far too much. And I
>am EXTREMELY happy that I'm not part of that company anymore.
>
>At this point, I would suggest that you look into getting a MiFi
>device from a wireless carrier.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson