Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Flower - Jim N

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Flower - Jim N
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 03:19:43 -0700
On 7/15/2018 1:39 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
I'm starting to get interested in this approach using close-up lenses, I was
wondering if anybody has used any of the Olympus IS/L close-up lenses and what the
results were like ?  It seems there are 40cm and 13cm versions in 49mm & 55mm
filter threads.

Yes indeed!

I have all three:
iS/L Lens A-Macro H.Q. Converter f=40cm, 49 mm threads
iS/L Lens A-Life Size Macro H.Q. Converter f=13cm, 49 mm threads
iS/L Lens B-Macro H.Q. Converter f=40cm, 55 mm threads.

After testing several achromats and an extension tube, the B-Macro was the clear winner on the Panny 14-140 lens, and they travel together. Several of the photos here were taken with that combo. <https://goo.gl/photos/JE6dSSvqHtBRRWXb6>

These lenses do not have front threads, which allows them to have larger glass elements than C-Us with front threads. There's quite an obvious physical difference, which may contribute to optical superiority. I've not had occasion to try the  A-Life Size Macro. This and other high diopter lenses are for close work, and I have dedicated macro lenses for that.

For the smaller, 37 and 46 mm thread lenses, the contemporary Oly MCON-P02 is an outstanding optical performer in an outstanding physical design.

Converted Moose