Re: [OM] IMG: Fungi

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Fungi
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 16:03:50 -0800
Moose of Befuddlement wrote:
> I wonder about that. In my limited use, comparing the three Olys with same
> subjects and lens, it seems to me that the E-M5 II files are easier to
> process. ( I say 'easier', rather than 'less' 'cause that's easier for me to
> get a feel for.) But then, I have LOTS of practice with the newer camera.

When attempting to achieve a Fujichrome Provia look, I think that the
E-1 is mostly there and only requires moderate adjustments. However,
to achieve a more flat look, it requires a lot of "dumbing down" of
the image which then reveals the inherent flaws of a sensor with a
more limited dynamic range and a tendency to blast pure colors near
the clipping point out of the water. An E-1 image really needs that -1
stop offset that is built in. Provided that you don't lean into that
top stop, you'll get far better colors and tones to work with--at the
risk of an increase in noise. It's very much a balancing act with the
E-1 unless you are shooting portraits and then it just magically
becomes the greatest digital camera ever. E-1 blues can get out of
hand so quickly that it can make your head spin.

> Colorful imagery, but I'm not sure what it means to me. I can go around the
> block to left or right, but either way, I end up at home.

You are absolutely correct. While the E-1 images usually need the
saturation and contrast decreases a bit, the 6D images need the
opposite adjustments. Once color matching with the HSL sliders is
done, the images are close enough, but it's obvious that the start
point of a really dry conversion of an E-1 file is closer to final
output than that of a 6D file. However, as has been noted several
times in the past, the E-1's sensor-storage pipeline is not linear and
there appears to be some form of curves adjustment (as well as
dithering) applied before the raw file is generated. I think there
have been a couple of us who have created profiles in the past with
the E-1 and attempted to make sense of how the in-camera response
curves are created.

> Has so much changed from the 5D? I very seldom mess with saturation, nor did
> I with the 5D. I recall how almost luminous some of my first shots of
> poppies were.

The original 5D is in a class of its own. The 5D is Canon's equivalent
to the E-1. The color response is definitely different, but there is
something cherry about 5D files in both skintones and flower capture.
The 6D is good in some regards, (skintones, noise, sharpening, dynamic
range), but otherwise is a lot more difficult to get the colors right.
Greens skew blue and highlights turn yellow. Stuff like that.

> Here I am much befuddled. I posted a shot of ORANGE poppies. No way one can
> know what the untouched file looked like - I messed with it. :-)

The deer photo. The poppies clipped in a bad way. Granted, they are a
bit waxy to begin with so they tend to shimmer, but I think this time
was a result of pushing those reds way into the danger zone.

> My standard for outdoors is -0.7 EV, has been for Canon, Fuji, Oly, Panny
> and Sony. I often do bracket beyond that. So subject and metering method
> dependent, though.

I'm learning that the 6D files like to have just a bit of headroom
like the E-1 files do. I can usually blast the E-3 and L1 files--as I
have to because the shadows go grungy), but the 6D and E-1 files don't
handle overexposure well.

Can you believe this? I'm bad-mouthing the E-1?

AG Schnozz