Re: [OM] 19th Century Link

Subject: Re: [OM] 19th Century Link
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 13:32:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     <<SNIP>>

>The ability to
>fund network infrastructure through usage was removed and the only
>revenue stream is whatever you can charge the customer for their
>network connection. As those fees get higher, you see more Chris
>Trask's who get their Internet access from a coffee shop.

     <<SNIP>>

     Never thought of myself being an industry driver.  It's a tough job, but
somebody has to do it.  :{)

     But there are other aspects to 19CL losing market share, one of which was
what happened at the coffee shop I used to go to.  19CL talked the owner into
leasing a newer wifi hub.  What they didn't tell him was that they had
unlimited remote access to the settings.  No sooner was it installed than the
hub would refuse connections to any laptop having an OS older than Win7 or a
browser older than IE10.  They did similar things to Apple users.  After weeks
of trouble, 19CL grudgingly espablished a second channel on the hub
specifically for Apple users.  I was able to use WinXP in that channel for a
short while, until they detected my WinXP OS and denied me access by remotely
resetting the hub.  That's when I bailed out and went elsewhere for my morning
coffee and internet.  So did a lot of other people.

     There is less than any rational explanation for that abuse.

     The third-party wifi hub at the coffee shop I presently go to will even
let me use an antique Compaq 3160 notebook with Win98/SE.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson