Re: [OM] 19th Century Link

Subject: Re: [OM] 19th Century Link
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 09:55:28 -0800
WayneS wrote:
> When we purchased the house in AZ, I found out that COX was in the
> neighborhood across the street, but not on mine, and not likely unless more
> houses are built.

And THAT is the difference between an ILEC and everybody else. The
ILEC is forced to build facilities to every street, road and country
lane. The CLECs and cable companies can pick and choose to just poach
the good neighborhoods. However, since I now work for one of those
companies, I can say that it's a pretty sweet deal for us. ;)

> So the options were satellite like HughsNet, with 50G data caps, or a local
> wireless provider, Dessert INet, with dedicated antenna on the roof. Having
> lived with FIOS 100/100 for many years, it is a down size for me. I cannot
> stream Netflix during prime time. I have to rely on bittorrent for the good
> stuff. But at least no satellite delays.

We're averaging 230GB per month with a 500GB slowdown cap. The
slowdown takes us down to DSL speeds. We don't have satellite delays,
but once in a while the subsea latency is noticeable. It depends on
whether or not the sites we're accessing are in the PACNW. For
Netflix, it's actually pretty good because there's a caching server
here that was grandfathered in before Net Neutrality had made such
things illegal.

> Isn't the net neutrality issue confused between privacy issues and paying for
> usage? I'm certainly confused.

Well, you might have noticed that since the Trump's FCC overturned
some of the Net Neutrality provisions (not all), that the entire
Internet has come crashing down and the end of the world actually
happened a couple months ago, but because our Internet is now no
longer free-flow that you didn't realize it. Bruhahahahaha....

In all practical terms, Net Neutrality had to do with two things that
affected us in the USA. Some of the cable companies were favoring
their own content over a competitor's content. This took a couple of
forms--one good, one bad. It used to be good if you got freebies or
bonus features or streaming content. That was one thing, but the other
was blocking or degrading of streaming competitors to protect the
Cable TV revenue stream. Value Add is good. Blocking competitors is
bad. The other thing that Net Neutrality did was force ALL revenue
generation for an ISP or Broadband Provider to the access side. In
otherwords, you have to pay for your physical connection and not for
your usage. By the way, The Obama Net Neutrality directive created a
carve-out for wireless providers--so it was never a level playing
field. The wireless/mobile providers were effectively exempt.

Let's use the old telephone system as an example: You paid for LOCAL
telephone service. Long-Distance service was in addition to and
charged by the minute. What Net Neutrality did for the Internet was
take away the equivalent of Long-Distance charges. This meant that all
long-distance costs now have to be applied to your basic service.
Actually, this still is true today, but all the telephone and
cell-phone companies have created work-arounds to eliminate most
long-distance fees, but they still exist and have been rolled into
your standard monthly bill.

The big winner in this whole Net Neutrality thing was Netflix. They
were able to force the cost of their entire delivery system onto
everybody else. It was brilliant! But as a result, ALL consumers have
to pay for it regardless of whether they use Netflix or not. When you
figure that 40% of the entire Internet infrastructure in the USA
exists JUST to support Netflix and Netflix pays NOTHING for it, you
start to see the problem. (Netflix pays for only their physical
connection to the Internet).

The other HUGE fault in the Obama Net Neutrality ruling was that it
didn't create a differentiation between last mile, middle mile and
core. That was starting to unwind a little bit, but the FCC overturn
of Net Neutrality was really required in that. But it's also driven a
massive increase in reporting requirements. This is a multi-phase
project by the government and there and hopefully it will result in
some sanity to our networks.

AG Schnozz