Re: [OM] Solstice Evening

Subject: Re: [OM] Solstice Evening
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 09:07:52 -0800
Fanboy Jim wrote:
> Beautiful!

Thank you.

I shot the scene with the E-1 and the 6D. I only brought the 6D along
because of the curse of the better. You don't want a UFO, Bigfoot and
Elvis all show up and not have the right camera with you. Anyway, I
did shoot SOME items with both cameras. Including this picture.

I'm reminded that in "normal" lighting conditions, most every camera
is going to photograph the scene about the same. But when the lighting
gets odd, things start to go wonky. The E-1's CCD sensor suddenly goes
on steroids and you have to say "Whoa Nellie!" and pull back on the
reigns a bit. The 6D's CMOS sensor is like that farm mule that
requires a fire to be lit under it and you have to yank on the reigns
to get it to move. The end result can end up about the same. I may
publish a comparative of this picture, but to summarize the MAJOR
processing differences in Lightroom (approximate settings):

Profile:
E1 - Adobe Standard
6D - Adobe Landscape

White Balance:
E1 - Cloudy
6D - Shade

Clarity:
E1 - +5
6D - +20

Saturation:
E1 - -10
6D  +10

These are approximate, not exact. And other settings also apply. But
the point is that the E-1 image needs to be "dumbed down" whereas the
6D image needs to be "amped up" to get to a similar result. The choice
of profile changes everything down the line and the impact on the
images from different sensors doesn't seem to be linear.

On a side note, I'm finding that I do get better color if I
underexpose the 6D a little bit. The color shift in the shadows is
problematic, but if you underexpose, the body of the image will fall
into that color shift and it makes it easier to correct. It just turns
into a mush-bucket, though.

Another side note regarding the blue sky. The E-1's blue skies are
always going to be a bit different than any other camera. You can
correct some of the shift with HSL adjustments, but the skies skew
away from the magenta. They always have and it seems to be a specific
trait of all Kodak CCD sensors as it even shows up in the FF and MF
sensors. Had I not pulled back the saturation, the sky would have been
too intense.

AG Schnozz