Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:04:26 -0700

> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I think that "multi-second" is one of those "sometimes it works" kinda
> thing.

I would say I have an 80% "keeper" rate on multi-second hand-held shots.

I think rifle training helps. I back my head up to something stable, tuck my
elbows into my diaphragm, push the camera to my face, slowly half-let-out a
breath, then gently stroke the shutter.

> There really are few times when the IBIS
> of the E-3 is superior to the non-IBIS of the E-1.

Used them both, and neither compares to the OM-D E-M1, which has five stops of
stabilization! (I think the E-3 has two or so.)

> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Deal breaker for me. IBIS has totally changed my way of shooting. Take away
>> my IBIS,
>
> Interesting. You reject optical IS?

It isn't so much that I reject OIS; it's that I shoot a lot of non-OIS glass.
The beauty of IBIS is that it works with whatever you mount on the body, from a
C-8 2000mm telescope to a T-mount microscope, to a bellows.

So, the bottom line for me is that using OIS means re-spending more money on
lenses I already have, versus just mounting the lenses I already have on an
IBIS body.

>> I *routinely* shoot multi-second shots, hand-held.
>
> Of what?

Waterfalls. Traffic lights. While panning. While zooming. Use your imagination!

One of the greatest "Huh?" factors in photography is playing with time. A
purposefully-blurred subject with a razor sharp background screams, "Something
is moving!" Whereas "freezing the action" seldom communicates the same.

Here's an example:

        https://www.mu-43.com/attachments/80al06-jpg.609308/

IBIS was not involved in this shot, although long-shutter techniques were! This
was a multi-second shot, keeping both eyes open, panning with the action. (This
was with an OM-2n and an OM Zuiko 75-150 on Kodachrome 25, at the 1980 Winter
Olympics, press box half-way up the 90 metre jump.)

With IBIS set to vertical-only, this would have "cleaned up" the jitter in the
background streaks.

> This is a good example.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-M5II_IBIS/Robin.htm>

Just for fun, you might have pushed that out to a second or two, for an
interesting effect. Multi-second IBIS can accentuate differential motion, such
as the legs being still, but the body moving.

But if your only goal in life is to take razor-sharp photos, I have to agree
with your dismissal of long exposure IBIS shots. Otherwise, if a 1/20th shot
results in a slightly blurry head, try a 1/2 second shot for a massively
blurred head!

> Even a shot like this, where air movement causes a painterly blurring, would
> lose all it's interesting (to me) texture
> in a multi second shot.
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Carrizo_Plain&image=_A004298cr.jpg>

Who said anything about the law that the only shots worth taking are
multi-second? I only said IBIS makes such shots even *possible* without a
tripod.

What's really been fun is using the Telescoping Extension Tube with various OM
macro lenses, hand-held. Due to light loss in the bellows, this is pretty near
impossible without IBIS. Are there even any OIS macro lenses available? I have
a half-dozen IBIS macro lenses! :-)

Jan