Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 14:01:33 -0700
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

My answer was finally found with the Panny GM5... so no IBIS.
Deal breaker for me. IBIS has totally changed my way of shooting. Take away my
IBIS,

Interesting. You reject optical IS? Both Oly and Panny combine OIS with IBIS in a sync mode for their best overall IS. Would they do that if some aspect(s) of OIS weren't superior to IBIS alone?

In return for the light, diminutive body with EVF, I am happy to use the GM5 with only the four Panny OIS lenses I have, tiny 12-32, amazingly small 35-100, small and light for its focal range 14-140 and portrait FL 42.5/1.7.

Three have Panny's latest, Power OIS; the 35-100 is the older Mega OIS. The majority of my use is with the 14-140. I use them just as I use the lenses on my IBIS bodies.

When I first got the PLeica 100-400, I took a bunch of shots twice on its first big outing, one with each IS. I didn't take notes and wasn't consistent in which order I shot. As I couldn't see any difference in IS at 100%, I concluded that, at least for my own, hand held use, they were equal in effectiveness.

and I'd rather shoot with a cell phone.

Somewhere in the thread, an OP (Wayne?) was seeking advice. Go with great IBIS,
and put the giggle back in your photography! I *routinely* shoot multi-second
shots, hand-held.

Of what? I hear about this, and see reviews with many examples, proclaiming the advantages of or another form and/or implementation of IS. The vast majority are taken indoors, of unmoving subjects that would never have been photographed, were it not for the test(s) being conducted.

In my own photography outside, almost everything I usually photograph moves; clouds move, people move, critters move, water moves, plants move in breezes. Buildings don't move, but things around and in front of them them do. Light and shadow change. Multi second shots hand held just don't happen in practice for me.

This is a good example.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-M5II_IBIS/Robin.htm>

Nowhere near multi second, but the excellent IBIS is negated by subject motion.

Even a shot like this, where air movement causes a painterly blurring, would lose all it's interesting (to me) texture in a multi second shot. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Carrizo_Plain&image=_A004298cr.jpg>

Indoors, I use tripods for the sort of shots taken hand held in those tests. I am often shooting stacks, comparing different apertures, filters and/or lenses; a tripod is the solution to my needs - and readily at hand. OTOH, I almost never use tripods in the field.

Whichever Way Moose