Re: [OM] Zuikofest Alaska

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikofest Alaska
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 16:50:20 -0500
Spectacular images, Moose, especially the first one.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

.
That goes on the list!

We've not been to that part of Oregon.
Any waterfall-lover's Oregon trip must include not only Silver Falls State Park,

Hmmm. I'd say we are waterfall-lovers, but not Waterfall-Lovers. They don't drive our choices of where to travel, but we seek out and enjoy them when they are near where we go.

Just a little test. :-) Have you visited Salt Creek Falls? Barr Creek Falls?

but the Columbia Gorge.

Been there, braved the weekday crowds at Multnomah Falls.

NorCal has some Falls worth a visit:

McArthur-Burney Falls SP <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/NorCal_Oregon_2010/McArthur-Burney_Falls_SP&image=_MG_0273-77oof40.jpg>

Mossbrae Falls is not tall, but very wide, and one may get up close and personal. Not in a park, no signs, one walks along the Union Pacific railroad tracks for about 1.5 mi. Gorgeous Spot. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Miscellaneous&image=MossBraeP116oof40.jpg>

While you're at it, pick up "A Waterfall Lover's Guide to the Pacific Northwest," by (Gregory?) Plumb. I seemed to have parted with my copy since moving to BC, so I might have the title off, but the author's last name was unforgettable in combo with the topic.

Looks like a great resource, thanks. Come to think about it, I think we have a little flier listing So. Cascades Falls that we picked up in a SP, but this looks better.

You'll find it during your trip at the world's greatest book store, Powells Books, in Portland.

Probably not. Closest we got last time was Multnomah Falls, before heading up the Gorge and on NE. I know, everyone likes Portland. To me, it's just another medium sized city, and I'm not much interested in cities. Portland, ME, same thing; Carol loves it, I don't 'get' it. The book will come from some independent seller via Abebooks. Also found a guide to Calif. waterfalls

Suspect, though. The Kindle sample lists Mill Creek, but not the near by, much more interesting, Barr Creek Falls. Listing could be for both, they are so close. I'll know in a few days.

Silver Falls is great any time of the year, but especially winter. There is rarely snow in the winter, and the water flow rate is greater, and it is chock-full of mushrooms.

In July, water flow will be nearly at its lowest.

The travel schedule is ruled by other considerations this year. No guarantee we'll even get that far North. Given my druthers, I'd stay home in July and Aug. Too many people out there and it gets too hot in many places. We may even take our chances with fog and head out to the coast after Ashland. Last time we thought about going up that way, the fog was so thick on 101 that we couldn't see the signs.

The big falls will still be spectacular, but you won't even see seasonal waterfalls like my "Unnamed Waterfall," which is just a "wet spot on the rock" in July.

Same thing in Yosemite Valley. There are quite a few temporary, unnamed falls. The drop for this ephemeral falls from El Capitan would be almost 3,000'. When I was there, the wind meant none reached the ground. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Yosemite/Yosemite_2011/Yosemite_Valley&image=_MG_0325cria70.jpg>

A closer view. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Yosemite/Yosemite_2011/Yosemite_Valley&image=_MG_0330ia50.jpg>

Keeps Falling Moose