Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 18:56:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Ah, I failed to understand that you were using the Leica monochrome
camera.  That makes a big difference.

     You may be able to restore the "natural" colour sensitivity of the sensor
by using a low density red or magenta filter, such as a 23A, which is almost
directly opposite the green to yellow-green filtering tht you are experiencing.
 Those are reasonably available in glass.  You can get more exacting by using a
#32 gelatin.

>Chris:  The Leica Monochrom sensor has no color filter array. Each pixel
>is just brightness.  There is no color balancing, because there's no
>color info at all. There's also no RGB interpolation, so noise at higher
>ISO is very tight.  The Monochrom sensor seems to be a bit more
>sensitive to green than other colors, and a green filter does very
>little. The sensor with no filter acts a bit like B&W film with a green
>or light yellow-green filter--the sky is darkened a bit compared to
>"bare" panchromatic film.
>
>The yellow filter's effect is a bit more like an orange filter with B&W
>film. An orange filter is a little stronger.  Curiously, a red filter
>actually defocuses things slightly, almost like an IR filter would.  I
>have confirmed all of the above with other Monochrom users.
>
>I almost always shoot Raw anyway.
>

>> Did you notice any differences when using the yellow filter? I've
>> found with the E-500/510/520 that you have to use RAW mode in order
>> to use Wratten filters, otherwise the camera processes the effects
>> out due to colour temperature balancing.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson