Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 18:11:05 -0700
Chris:  The Leica Monochrom sensor has no color filter array. Each pixel is just brightness.  There is no color balancing, because there's no color info at all. There's also no RGB interpolation, so noise at higher ISO is very tight.  The Monochrom sensor seems to be a bit more sensitive to green than other colors, and a green filter does very little. The sensor with no filter acts a bit like B&W film with a green or light yellow-green filter--the sky is darkened a bit compared to "bare" panchromatic film.

The yellow filter's effect is a bit more like an orange filter with B&W film. An orange filter is a little stronger.  Curiously, a red filter actually defocuses things slightly, almost like an IR filter would.  I have confirmed all of the above with other Monochrom users.

I almost always shoot Raw anyway.

--Peter