Re: [OM] First Juniper Hairstreak

Subject: Re: [OM] First Juniper Hairstreak
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 22:06:09 -0500

They are uncommon and hard to spot--often high up in red cedars. I had never
seen one.  Went out special today on a quest with a new kit and was fortunate
enough to come across one and at eye level no less. She was
perhaps 1/2 inch across max.  Only one shot was good enough to use:

https://www.olyendomike.com/Macro-2017/i-xgmr5h6/A

I think the CU diopter resulted in the IS  not working as well as usual.  If
raised the ISO to inc SS the flash/ambient was off.  T32 is OK on my other kit
but not optimal at high mag with PL 100-400 at 400mm with the Pentax
T132--distant background fools the auto mode and over exposes.  Desire to get
every part the B'fly in focus--likely need to stack for quiet one--I know it is
possible.  May have to listen to Moose and use an LED with higher SS though
always liked the flash to help freeze motion.

Still Chasin' em,  Mike

Hi Mike,

That's a great shot!  The only thing that you might complain about is the OOF back side antenna.  Colors are fine and the bands are clear and sharp.  I realize that you are more of a perfectionist than I, but I would call it a successful mission.

--
Sent from my former XP machine via Ubuntu. Jim Nichols Tullahoma, TN USA