Re: [OM] Road Runner!

Subject: Re: [OM] Road Runner!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 12:04:59 -0700
Thanks for looking and commenting:
Paul, Don, David, Bill, Jim and ChrisB!

On 4/28/2018 4:09 AM, Philippe wrote:
The second one for me - love the head feathers

I’d try to restore/lighten up some of the darker tones though.

I thought that, too. But I didn't like what I came up with very much. It took
away some of the drama.

Bokeh of OoF area is glorious as is.

Thanks! The truth is that I'd have changed it if it weren't appealing, but it
is as the lens saw it.

I just meandered through another forum thread about bokeh, most posters still believe that some lenses have good and some bad. One guy pointed out, although not as a general principle, that bokeh doesn't just depend on lens and aperture.

Distance to subject and background are very significant, as well. I have some truly awful bokeh shots with 50/1.8, subject a few feet away, background  30-100 ft. away. Some tiny highlights are actual halo/circles, similar to mirror lenses.

Here, the lens is 400 mm, the subject about 15' away and the background maybe 100', and the bokeh is delicious. Same lens, aperture and FL in other circumstances may have busy, edgy bokeh. Lots of examples.

I don't think your critter would like our backyard as we frequently have these
visitors.  Just to provide some equal time, here is Wile E.

It's likely used to the (non) wily one, but wouldn't last in your weather. :-)

Wily O. Moose