Re: [OM] A tale of too many tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] A tale of too many tripods
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 18:32:31 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
TLM writes:

<<Once no longer independent, the range of products was immediately
constrained. Possibly good business. I seems to me that further clarification
of product lines has occurred. Gitzo does traditional, conservative, with twist
locks. Manfrotto does flip locks, 90° center columns, <<lighting clamps, Magic
Arms, pull out legs, and so on. Stogy vs. flashy, one might say. I would guess
the EX line didn't "fit".

That is an excellent theory.  Thanks for researching and thinking about  this
issue.  It is somehow discomfiting to have a whole series of ones favorite gear
abandoned.

------------The center column can cantilever out  at numerous angles including
past 90deg.

TLM:
<<<<I can see the appeal, but am not sure of the practical implications. Need
higher or lower and a different angle of view? Change tripod height and adjust
head. Dunno. Cogitation required; thought experiments.

We need to experiment with the gear next opportunity.  With the 2541 it is
possible to have the cam level at nearly ground level with the center column
past 90 deg to get lower with the cam mounted on the ball head via the vertical
mount of the L bracket.  It doesn't look very elegant or  stable, but it works
especially counter weighting the ctr colunm.   It is easier than mounting the
cam upside down, IMO, especially when trying to use flash---don't ask. I should
probably have tired hand holding it with flash actually.
I remain puzzled as to a more compact solution.

How low can you go, Mike