Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 11:02:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Ditching a C-130 is terribly problematic, primarily due to the bulbous
radome nose.  If the nose goes underwater while still at an appreciable speed,
the fuselage will break in two.  There have only been two successful ditchings,
one by the Isrealis in the Mediterranean and one by the Bolivians off the coast
of New Jersey.  The flight manual had you lowering the landing gear and keeping
the flaps up.  None of us really cared for that method, instead we felt you
should lower the flaps, keep the gear up, and feather the props.

>Yes, I’ve heard the flying to the crash before :-)
>
>But most pilots will put the tail down first: you have to land any
>aircraft with the nose high to arrest the rate of descent.  But I
>would have thought that Sully had to avoid too high a nose so that
>the there was not too much strain on the rear fuselage.  I thought
>at the time that he must have been very clever (or lucky) to get just
>the right combination of high enough angle of attack (to reduce the
>rate of descent to a minimum) but not so high as to risk breaking the
>aircraft and causing a faster sinking.
>

>> That's the difference between Sully and the younger simulator trained
>> pilots. He know to put the tail in first.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson