Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting [was Re: Ebay 20% off sale Mar

Subject: Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting [was Re: Ebay 20% off sale Mar 9]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 11:11:37 -0700
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

  there?s some interesting, creative work going on over at photomacrography.net
[corrected URL]. The conventional wisdom is to set things up horizontally, with
(in order) your camera, Lieberkuhn reflector, subject, light shield, then light
source.
But then, they don't have an Oly Macrophoto Stand VST-1 & B Adapter & Extension
Bar VST-E :-)
<http://omesif.moosemystic.net/om-sif/macrophotogroup/vst-1.htm>
Yes, but do *you*? :-) Those things are as rare as hen’s teeth!

Matter of fact, yes. courtesy of enabler Texas Bill. It's an awesome bit of
gear; very simple and SOLID!!

I think all I need is a Lieberkuhn reflector...

The guy making them on a 3D printer also showed a clip-on one in his tests, but
doesn't show it for sale. The others he
sells are designed with male threads to fit filter rings, but the Oly 20 & 38
mm have female threads for the macro
lights, not filter threads, they also are far back from the FEs and Oly
themselves chose to attach their reflectors up
front.
Interesting, as I think he uses at least one of those two lenses.

But thanks for pointing out that the gender of the reflectors he sells is wrong
for the 20 and 38. Saved me some money and yet another bit of useless kit,
cluttering up my photo gear cabinet.

Yup, it's an easy mistake, aided for researchers who don't look closely at the pix, but read things like the Alan Wood site MikeG linked yesterday.

Looking at the 38/2.8, it seems one might just slip a piece of white plastic or
shiny Al with the right size hole over
the front and hold it on with an O-ring.
I was thinking a bit of plastic milk jug or yogurt container, formed over the right
sized bowl in a microwave oven, with the right sized hole in the middle, might just do
the job without even the o-ring. If it’s snug, you could just thread it on the
20 or 38.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I was suggesting something that fits over the very front of the lens, as Oly's reflectors do. I imagine if something larger, mounted way back on the flash attachment threads worked as well or better, Oly would/might have done that. All their Macro gear is so carefully thought out that I wish to emulate it when I can't get it.

Speculum Moose