Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting [was Re: Ebay 20% off sale Mar

Subject: Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting [was Re: Ebay 20% off sale Mar 9]
From: Jan Steinman via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 09:50:55 -0700
Cc: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 3/13/2018 6:17 AM, Jan Steinman via olympus wrote:
>>  there?s some interesting, creative work going on over at
>> photomacrography.net [corrected URL]. The conventional wisdom is to set
>> things up horizontally, with (in order) your camera, Lieberkuhn reflector,
>> subject, light shield, then light source.
>
> But then, they don't have an Oly Macrophoto Stand VST-1 & B Adapter &
> Extension Bar VST-E :-)
> <http://omesif.moosemystic.net/om-sif/macrophotogroup/vst-1.htm>

Yes, but do *you*? :-) Those things are as rare as hen’s teeth!

> I think all I need is a Lieberkuhn reflector...
>
> The guy making them on a 3D printer also showed a clip-on one in his tests,
> but doesn't show it for sale. The others he
> sells are designed with male threads to fit filter rings, but the Oly 20 & 38
> mm have female threads for the macro
> lights, not filter threads, they also are far back from the FEs and Oly
> themselves chose to attach their reflectors up
> front.

Interesting, as I think he uses at least one of those two lenses.

But thanks for pointing out that the gender of the reflectors he sells is wrong
for the 20 and 38. Saved me some money and yet another bit of useless kit,
cluttering up my photo gear cabinet.

> Looking at the 38/2.8, it seems one might just slip a piece of white plastic
> or shiny Al with the right size hole over
> the front and hold it on with an O-ring.

I was thinking a bit of plastic milk jug or yogurt container, formed over the
right sized bowl in a microwave oven, with the right sized hole in the middle,
might just do the job without even the o-ring. If it’s snug, you could just
thread it on the 20 or 38.

Jan